Welcome to the website of the Friends of Essex Churches Trust
The Friends of Essex Churches Trust is a registered charity set up in 1951. It raises money for grants to repair and restore Christian churches and chapels in Essex and the five London boroughs formerly part of the county: Barking & Dagenham, Havering, Newham, Redbridge and Waltham Forest. We are non-denominational.
Money for grants is raised by donations, legacies and fund-raising events such as parties, visits, lectures and the annual Ride & Stride, which takes place on the second Saturday every September. All our staff are volunteers, so that every penny raised is handed on to places of worship which need our help.
We have three main objectives:
FRIENDS OF ESSEX CHURCHES TRUST 2012-13
Executive Council and Trustees: James Bettley (Chairman), Christopher Starr (Vice-Chairman), Philip Smith (Hon. Treasurer), Keith Gardner (Hon. Secretary & Hon. Membership Secretary), Jill Cole, Catharine Hutley, David Lodge, Sandra Markham, Ralph Meloy, Fiona Nelmes
Advisory Council: John Bloomfield, Ray Clements, Ann Hilder, David Hoppit, Simon Mynott, Sir Alastair Stewart, Sarah White
Stained glass depicting the arms of
William Swaine Chisenhale-Marsh,
Theydon Garnon, All Saints.
He was High Sheriff of Essex in 1892.