When the Trust was founded in 1951, one of its aims was to assist in the maintenance of the fabric of our churches and chapels. The minutes of the September 1952 meeting tell us that after a lively discussion it was agreed that small grants should be made as soon as possible, four of £25. At the
next meeting six churches were selected for a £25 grant:
Monument to Sir Thomas Smith + 1668,
Theydon Mount, St Michael
Since the early days of the Trust, costs have continued to rise and our grants have gone up accordingly. Today we give grants to about thirty churches and chapels each year. Recently, for example, we gave £250 to Theydon Mount, St Michael, and £10,000 to Walthamstow, St Mary; and Little Braxted, St Nicholas received £5,000 for roof repairs, and Wethersfield, St Mary £7,000 for repairs to the tower.
Monument to Sir Thomas Smith + 1577,
Theydon Mount, St Michael,
attributed to Giles de Witte.
Sir Thomas was the builder of Hill Hall,
Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge University,
Provost of Eton College,
and French Ambassador
Secretary of the Grants Committee:
John Bloomfield, 39 Lake Rise, Romford RM1 4DZ